Is Sync.com the best cloud storage service in the market? Is Sync.com safe? In this Sync.com review, we'll go over all of Sync.com's features, its background, its advantages, pricing, and whether or not it's worth your time.
Sync.com Review: Background
Thomas Savundra, Suhan Shan, and Darius Antia founded Sync in 2011 with the goal of creating a secure cloud storage platform with privacy protection built-in, something unheard of at the time. Focusing first on developing end-to-end encrypted apps and infrastructure for individuals, they soon saw potential in how Sync could help businesses and teams entrusted with important, confidential data work more effectively. Today Sync provides secure document storage, file sharing, and collaboration features that get people, businesses, and teams in sync.
Over 1.7 million individuals and businesses worldwide use Sync's products to share big ideas, store important information, and collaborate on game-changing projects.
Sync includes groundbreaking privacy-protection features and encryption technology designed to protect sensitive information from unauthorized access.
Sync.com Review: Security & Privacy
Most cloud storage providers differ from Sync because they can access, scan and read your files. Sync's end-to-end encrypted storage platform and apps ensure that only you can access your data in the cloud. Sync can’t read your files and no one else can either.
100% private cloud
End-to-end encryption protects your confidential data in the cloud from unauthorized access at all times. Sync can’t read your files and no one else can either.
Your personal data belongs to you
Sync doesn't collect, sell or share your personal data or app usage information to advertisers or third parties, and Sync does not claim ownership of your data.
Global data privacy compliance
Sync is safe to use, no matter where your business operates, with USA, EU / UK GDPR, and Canadian compliance built-in, including Canadian data residency.
Automatic backup, sync, and restore
Sync backs up your files in real-time, and makes it easy to recover deleted files and previous versions of any file, any time. Never lose a file again.
Data is replicated across multiple SSAE 16 type 2 certified datacentre locations with SAS RAID storage, automatic failover, and a 99.9% or better uptime SLA.
Account security controls
Two-factor authentication, granular user permissions, remote wipe, custom passwords, expiry dates, notifications and more ensure you're always in control.
Ease of use
If you're familiar with the cloud you'll be right at home with Sync, and if you're just getting started you'll be protecting your data in no time. Sync makes encryption easy, which means that your data is safe, secure and 100% private, simply by using Sync.
Sync.com Review: File Sharing
Sync makes it easy to store, share and access your files from just about anywhere.
Best of all, Sync protects your privacy with end-to-end encryption, ensuring that your data in the cloud is safe, secure and 100% private.
With Sync you can send files of any size to anyone, even if they don't have a Sync account. Multiple users can work from the same set of folders, and features such as file requests, password protection, notifications, expiry dates, and permissions ensure that you're always in control.
Sync links make it easy to send files and folders to just about anyone. Recipients of links cannot edit the original file in any way (links are view-only) and do not need a Sync account. Links provide a fast, secure, and easy method of sharing files and folders, without bulky email attachments.
You can create and share links from the Sync.com web panel, your computer, or your phone or tablet.
When you share a link to a file or folder you can set access permissions to control who can view the link, and what they can do with the link.
Basic permissions include custom passwords and removing links (to revoke access). Sync Pro and Business customers can set advanced permissions, such as download restrictions, expiry dates, activity notifications and more.
Sync Pro and Business customers can enable file uploads on links. The people you request files from can upload directly to a folder you link to, using a web browser (no Sync account required). This allows people to send you files easily.
If you share a link to a folder containing multiple files, the recipient of the link will have an option to download all of the linked files at once, as a Zip. This makes it easier and faster for people viewing your link to download multiple files.
This option is available on folders up to 5 GB in size and can be disabled via link permissions.
Sync.com Review: Sync Vault
Your Sync account includes a cloud-only storage space called Vault. Vault is typically used to backup files and folders located outside of your Sync folder. Files stored in Vault are not automatically synchronized to your other computers or devices, which makes it ideal for backups or freeing up space.
The Sync folder is a special folder located on your computer, that is backed up to the cloud as you add or make changes to your files. Additionally, files in the Sync folder are automatically synchronized to any other computer you install the Sync desktop app on, making it easy to access the same set of files from multiple computers.
Vault is a separate “cloud-only” storage location that does not automatically synchronize. You can manually copy any file or folder, anywhere on your computer (including external drives), to Vault, to create a cloud backup.
Files and folders stored in Vault are accessible from the web panel or mobile apps and can be downloaded from the cloud, back to your computer easily, anytime.
You can upload any file or folder located virtually anywhere on your computer (including external drives), to Vault, to create a cloud-only backup. To do so you will need to install the Sync desktop app.
Files uploaded to Vault from Windows Explorer or Mac Finder are organized using the full file path. For example, if you uploaded filename.txt from your desktop, it would be saved to Vault under the full path of:
“Device Name/Drive Letter/Full/File/Path/filename.txt”
This prevents data from being overwritten if you upload files or folders with identical names from different locations, or have multiple computers attached.
You can use Vault to free up space by storing files in the cloud only and removing them from your computer or device. Files and folders stored in Vault are accessible from the web panel or mobile apps and can be downloaded from the cloud, back to your computer or devices anytime.
Sync.com Review: Sync Web Panel
The Sync.com web panel provides secure web-based access to your cloud storage and account settings. From the web panel you can:
- Easily access your files using any web browser.
- Share files and folders with shared links and team share folders.
- Access file version history and deleted file recovery.
- Change security settings.
- Manage account settings and billing.
The web panel is compatible with Internet Explorer 10+, Microsoft Edge, Safari 7+, Firefox, and Chrome web browsers on both desktop computers and mobile devices.
Sync.com Review: Sync for Business
Sync is safe to use, no matter where your business operates, with USA, EU / UK GDPR, and Canadian compliance built-in, and priority in-house support whenever you need it, Sync Business is one of the best cloud storage solutions in the market, below you can review all of its features.
Send and receive files securely
- Share files and folders with clients and co-workers quick and easy, with secure links
- Control access with passwords, expiry dates, upload capability, email notifications, and more
- Unlimited data transfer and recipients of links get instant access, no Sync account required
Collaborate and share privately
- Access files from centralized folders, across multiple users, computers and devices, without the hassle of file servers or email
- Set granular user permissions to control access, including read-only and read-write
- Activity logs give you complete oversight of all user and file actions on shares, to keep you up to date
Access your files from anywhere
- Sync and access your files from all of your computers and devices
- Windows and Mac integration allows you to use the productivity apps you already love, such as Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite
- Mobile apps for iPhone, iPad, Android, and the web make it easy for you to access your files on the go
Instantly preview your documents
- Preview virtually any type of document directly from your web browser or the Sync mobile apps, without downloading
- Restrict downloads on previewable documents when sharing, for ultimate data privacy compliance
- Full support for Microsoft Office formats including Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Visio, as well as Adobe PDF, PSD, virtually all photo formats, and more
Backup and recovery made easy
- Protect your files from ransomware and hardware failure with the ability to rollback any file to any previous date or time
- Never lose a file again with centralized, real-time backups that make it easy to recover and restore deleted files
- Sync Vault cloud-only storage allows you to archive any file to the cloud, anywhere on your computer and external drives, to free up space
- Administrator account with tools to easily add and remove user accounts for each employee on your team
- Management tools to reset passwords, log in as users and view activity logs and usage
- Centralized billing for all users, with pro-rated invoicing when adding additional users
Sync.com Review: Desktop Apps
The Sync desktop application is available for Windows and Mac operating systems. When you install Sync on your computer the app will create a special Sync folder. The Sync folder works just like any other folder, and provides the following features:
- Files in the Sync folder are backed up to the cloud automatically.
- Files in the Sync folder are protected with version history and deleted file recovery.
- You can share files and folders in the Sync folder.
- You can access files that other people have shared with you, from the Sync folder.
- You can access the Sync folder from your computer, phone, tablet, and the web.
You can use the desktop app to quickly access the Sync folder on your computer, search for your files in Sync and the Vault, stay up-to-date with recent file activity, and change your password.
Sync.com Review: Mobile Apps
The Sync apps are available for Android, iPhone, and iPad, and make it easy for you to access your files right from your mobile device. The Sync apps are free, and provide the following features:
- Access your files in Sync from anywhere
- Use third-party apps on your device to open and edit files in Sync
- Take photos and videos using the camera on your device, and automatically save them to Sync
- Make files available for offline access
- Share your files using links, in emails, text messages, and other apps
- Manage team shared folders
Sync.com Review: Best Dropbox Alternative?
Did you know Dropbox employees have access to your files stored on their servers?
Sync is a secure Dropbox alternative with end-to-end encryption built-in. This ensures that only you can access your data in the cloud. Sync can’t read your files and no one else can either. In contrast, Dropbox can access, scan, and share your files in the cloud.
- Sync protects your privacy (only you have access to your data)
- Sync allows you to share folders of any size to free users
- Sync includes all of the file sync and sharing features you expect
- With Sync you get fast customer service, whenever you need it
File sync and sharing you expect
Just like Dropbox, Sync makes it easy to share and access your files from any computer, phone, or tablet. With support for Mac, Windows, Android and iOS it’s easy to get up and running.
- Sync folder (just like the Dropbox folder)
- Access your files from any computer or device
- Desktop apps for Windows & Mac
- Mobile apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android
- Web browser access
- Offline access
- Secure file sharing
- Secure shared folder collaboration
- Selective sync
- 5 GB storage is always free
Sync.com Review: Plans & Pricing
Sync and share absolutely free
For individuals and sole practitioners
For sole practitioners seeking more storage & custom branding
For your small business or team
For teams of any size, and those seeking advanced storage options
For companies that need enhanced org-wide controls with 100+ users.
(Contact the sales team to get a custom price estimate)
Sync.com Review: Pros & Cons
- Outstanding privacy features
- A great option for businesses
- File storing and sharing is very simple
- Global data privacy compliance
- Apps are very intuitive
- Doesn't offer lifetime plans
- No Linux support
Sync.com Review: Verdict
After our Sync.com review, we found this cloud storage provider to be one of the very best solutions in the market.
If you're still using Dropbox, you should definitely start looking for an alternative, Dropbox employees have access yo all your files stored on their servers, on top of that, they have been known to censor and ban users based on political motifs, Sync, on the other hand, does not have access to your files and respects your privacy while keeping all your data safe and secure.
The mobile and desktop apps are very easy to use and well structured, the higher the plan you choose, the better the features, unfortunately, unlike some alternatives, Sync does not offer lifetime plans and there's no Linux support.
If you'd like to try Sync for yourself, you can sign up for a Sync.com account and get 5GB for free, to do so, simply follow the link below!