Neil Gaiman Masterclass Review
In this Neil Gaiman MasterClass Review, we will be examining whether or not the Neil Gaiman MasterClass (Neil Gaiman Teaches The Art of Storytelling) is worth your money.
(The pricing's currency will vary depending on your location, you can always set your online location by using a VPN provider, choose the best option for you by clicking here).
Get 100 MasterClasses for only $180/yr and save 98% OFF the original price you'd have to pay for 100 masterclasses!
Neil Gaiman: Background
Neil Gaiman, in full Neil Richard Gaiman, (born November 10, 1960, Portchester, Hampshire, England), a British writer who earned critical praise and popular success with richly imagined fantasy tales that frequently featured a darkly humorous tone.
Neil Gaiman Masterclass Review: Content
Meet your new instructor: Neil Gaiman, one of the most prolific storytellers of our time. In his first lesson, Neil explains why he loves to teach and how he wants to encourage you to tell stories that matter.
2. Truth in Fiction
One of the central tools of literature is using the “lie” of a made-up story to tell a human truth. Neil shows you how to make your story’s world—no matter how outlandish—feel real to readers.
3. Sources of Inspiration
Neil believes that even old stories can be approached from new angles. Learn how to create your own “compost heap” of inspiration and how to draw from your experiences to make a story uniquely your own.
4. Finding Your Voice
Your writer’s voice is what makes it possible for someone to pick up a page of text and recognize that you wrote it. Learn how to develop your voice and how to overcome the fear of making mistakes.
5. Developing the Story
Every story has a big idea. Learn how to find a big idea that’s meaningful to you, as well as how to create conflict and compelling stakes for your characters.
6. Story Case Study: The Graveyard Book
Neil uses his young adult fantasy novel, The Graveyard Book, to illustrate how character motivations serve as the essential building blocks of a compelling plot.
7. Short Fiction
The short story is an ideal format for risk-taking. Neil teaches you how to focus your scenes and descriptions for maximum impact.
8. Short Fiction Case Study: “March Tale”
Using “March Tale” as an example, Neil shows you how to expand your narrative by creating conflict for your protagonist and how to bring your story to a satisfying climax.
9. Rules of Story
The rules of great drama aren't new. Here, Aaron explains how most of them were laid out more than 2,000 years ago by Aristotle in his Poetics, and how to use those lessons to become a diagnostician for your own story ideas.
10. Character Case Study: “October Tale”
Neil explains the technique of bringing a character to life by putting them in an unfamiliar situation that creates tension.
Learn Neil’s philosophy of worldbuilding, including how to create compelling and believable settings for your novel, and how to avoid the common pitfalls many inexperienced writers make.
Neil shares his techniques to liven up descriptive prose, including cold opens, withholding information, finding emotional weight, and choosing memorable details.
Neil shows how he uses humor in his work. He includes a close look at his novel Anansi Boys to illustrate his personal techniques such as “sherbet lemons” and “Figgins.”
Readers’ expectations are intrinsically tied to genre. Neil explains how an understanding of your story’s genre can help you provide delightful surprises to your audience.
Writers don’t need to shy away from comics just because they’re not illustrators. Neil demonstrates his process of plotting and scripting a comic, using an award-winning issue of Sandman as an example.
Every writer faces times when they’re stuck. Neil talks about some of the difficulties of the writing life and gives ideas about how to get through them.
Neil gives advice about the editing process, including why it’s important to take time away from a project and to get feedback from a trusted reader.
In his rules for writers, Neil talks about striking the right balance between humility and confidence, as well as the need to stay organized and devoted to daily work.
Neil concludes with a deeply personal discussion of the responsibilities that people who create art have to their audience and what this means for humans as a whole.
Share the MasterClass love! Get access to more than 100 masterclasses and start learning from the comfort of your home!
Use our link, get the MasterClass Annual Membership and we'll earn a commission at no extra cost to you!
Neil Gaiman Masterclass Review: Pricing
The Neil Gaiman MasterClass used to cost $100, currently, for $180 you can get the MasterClass Annual Membership which also gives you access to this masterclass. With this membership you get one-year unlimited access to more than 100 masterclasses, this means that you'll save about 98% of the $10,000 you'd previously pay for 100 masterclasses.
MasterClass Annual Membership
$15/mo (Billed $180 for 1-year access)
MasterClass Annual Membership: Content
What-s included with the MasterClass Annual Membership? With the Masterclass Annual Membership you get access to the following masterclasses:
Cooking Masterclasses / Culinary Arts Masterclasses:
- Gabriela Cámara Teaches Mexican Cuisine
- Gordon Ramsay Teaches Cooking I
- Gordon Ramsay Teaches Cooking II
- Aaron Franklin Teaches Texas-Style BBQ
- Thomas Keller Teaches Cooking Techniques I
- Thomas Keller Teaches Cooking Techniques II
- Thomas Keller Teaches Cooking Techniques III
- Massimo Bottura Teaches Modern Italian Cuisine
- Wolfgang Teaches Cooking
- Lynnette Marrero & Ryan Chetiyawardana Teach Mixology
- Alice Waters Teaches the Art of Home Cooking
- Dominique Ansel Teaches French Pastry Fundamentals
- James Suckling Teaches Wine Appreciation
- Ron Finley Teaches Gardening
- Yotam Ottolenghi Teaches Modern Middle Eastern Cooking
- Apollonia Poilane Teaches Bread Baking
Film Masterclasses / Television Masterclasses:
- Natalie Portman Teaches Acting
- Samuel L. Jackson Teaches Acting
- Martin Scorsese Teaches Filmmaking
- David Lynch Teaches Creativity and Film
- Jodie Foster Teaches Filmmaking
- Aaron Sorkin Teaches Screenwriting
- Werner Herzog Teaches Filmmaking
- Ron Howard Teaches Directing
- Judd Apatow Teaches Comedy
- Helen Mirren Teaches Acting
- Ken Burns Teaches Documentary Filmmaking
- Spike Lee Teaches Indie Filmmaking
- Mira Nair Teaches Indie Filmmaking
Nancy Cartwright Teaches Voice Acting
Issa Rae Teaches Creating Outside the Lines
- Bobbi Brown Teaches Makeup and Beauty
- Kelly Wearstler Teaches Interior Design
- Emily Morse Teaches Sex and Communication
- Jon Kabat-Zinn Teaches Mindfulness and Meditation
Jeff Koons Teaches Art and Creativity
- Shonda Rhimes Teaches Writing for Television
- James Patterson Teaches Writing
- David Sedaris Teaches Storytelling and Humor
- Billy Collins Teaches Reading and Writing Poetry
- David Baldacci Teaches Mystery and Thriller Writing
- Neil Gaiman Teaches the Art of Storytelling
- Dan Brown Teaches Writing Thrillers
- Joyce Carol Oates Teaches the Art of the Storytelling
- David Mamet Teaches Dramatic Writing
- Malcolm Gladwell Teaches Writing
- Margaret Atwood Teaches Creative Writing
- R.L. Stine Teaches Writing for Young Audiences
- Judy Blume Teaches Writing
- Walter Mosley Teaches Fiction and Storytelling
Salman Rushdie Teaches Storytelling and Writing
- Roxane Gay Teaches Writing for Social Change
- Stephen Curry Teaches Shooting, Ball-Handling, and Scoring
- Garry Kasparov Teaches Chess
- Simone Biles Teaches Gymnastics Fundamentals
- Tony Hawk Teaches Skateboarding
- Serena Williams Teaches Tennis
- Joe Holder Teaches Fitness and Wellness Fundamentals
- Misty Copeland Teaches Ballet Technique and Artistry
- Parris Goebel Teaches Creativity in Choreography
- Marc Jacobs Teaches Fashion Design
- Diane von Furstenberg Teaches Building a Fashion Brand
- Tan France Teaches Style for Everyone
- Frank Gehry Teaches Design and Architecture
- Will Wright Teaches Game Design
- Annie Leibovitz Teaches Photography
- Jimmy Chin Teaches Adventure Photography
- RuPaul Teaches Self-Expression and Authenticity
- Robin Roberts Teaches Effective and Authentic Communication
- Howard Schultz Teaches Business Leadership
- Chris Voss Teaches The Art of Negotiation
- Bob Iger Teaches Business Strategy and Leadership
- Anna Wintour Teaches Creativity and Leadership
- Sara Blakely Teaches Self-Made Entrepreneurship
- Jeff Goodby and Rich Silverstein Teach Advertising and Creativity
- Daniel Pink Teaches Sales and Persuasion
Politics Masterclasses / Society Masterclasses:
- Jane Goodall Teaches Conservation
- Paul Krugman Teaches Economics and Society
- Doris Kearns Goodwin Teaches U.S. Presidential History
- David Axelrod and Karl Rove Teach Campaign Strategy
- Bob Woodward Teaches Investigative Journalism
- Carlos Santana Teaches the Art and Soul of Guitar
- Christina Aguilera Teaches Singing
- Tom Morello Teaches Electric Guitar
- Danny Elfman Teaches Music for Film
- Hans Zimmer Teaches Film Scoring
- Herbie Hancock Teaches Jazz
- Timbaland Teache Producing and Beatmaking
- deadmau5 Teaches Electronic Music Production
- Izhak Perlman Teaches Violin
- Reba McEntire Teaches Country Music
- Usher Teaches The Art of Performance
- Armin Van Buuren Teaches Dance Music
- Sheila E. Teaches Drumming and Percussion
- Jake Shimabukuro Teaches Ukelele
- St. Vincent Teaches Creativity and Songwriting
- Alicia Keys Teaches Songwriting and Producing
- Questlove Teaches Music Curation and DJing
- Steve Martin Teaches Comedy
- Penn & Teller Teach the Art of Magic
- Neil de Grasse Tyson Teaches Scientific Thinking
- Chris Hadfield Teaches Space Exploration
Mathew Walker Teaches Science of Better Sleep
- Brandon McMillan Teaches Dog Training
MasterClass: Pros & Cons
- Access more than 100 masterclasses
- World-renowned lecturers
- Great pricing
- Well established company
- None, really!
Neil Gaiman Masterclass Review: Verdict
MasterClass is definitely one of the best eLearning platforms available right now, whatever skills you're trying to learn, whichever knowledge you want to acquire, you're bound to find something that suits your needs.
The Neil Gaiman Masterclass is one of the best storytelling masterclasses out there, all his advice are precious and the exercises included in the masterclass will greatly help you improve your skills, Neil Gaiman is an outstanding creative, one of the greatest of our times, an award-winning author who has spent more than a quarter of a century crafting vivid, absorbing fiction. Now, the author of Stardust, Coraline, and The Sandman teaches his approach to imaginative storytelling in his online writing class.
Knowing as many skills as possible is crucial, it's essential for you to grow as an individual acquired knowledge in one field will help you in other fields too.
By offering a one-time payment of $180, MasterClass allows you to access a vast number of masterclasses for an extremely low price for the duration of an entire year, during that period you'll have more than enough time to watch every available masterclass and therefore greatly expand your skills and knowledge.
If you do the math and divide $180 by the roughly 100 available masterclasses, it means you'll only have to pay less than $2 per each of those masterclasses!
If you'd like to get the MasterClass Annual Membership, follow the link below and check if the 2 for 1 MasterClass discount is available!