Aaron Sorkin Masterclass Review
In this Aaron Sorkin MasterClass Review, we will be examining whether or not the Aaron Sorkin MasterClass (Aaron Sorkin Teaches Screenwriting) is worth your money.
(The pricing's currency will vary depending on your location, you can always set your online location by using a VPN provider, choose the best option for you by clicking here).
Aaron Sorkin: Background
Aaron Sorkin is an American writer, screenwriter, producer, and director with an astute intelligence, he uses sharp dialogue in his screenplays, television series, and plays that are often set within the combative backstage world of politics, law, or entertainment.
Aaron Sorkin Masterclass Review: Content
Meet Aaron. He's an Oscar winner, a TV hitmaker, and the writer of some of the smartest dramas ever to hit the screen. And now, he's your instructor.
2. Intention & Obstacle
Every great story is born from intentions and obstacles. Learn how to build the "drive shaft" that will set your script in motion.
3. Story Ideas
How do you know if your idea is good enough to turn into a script? Aaron walks you through the steps every writer should take to test an idea—and decide whether it will work best in TV or film.
4. Developing Characters: Part 1
Aaron shares some of the decisions he made to develop some of his most unforgettable characters—like The Social Network's Mark Zuckerberg and The West Wing's Toby and Leo.
5. Developing Characters: Part 2
Your characters don't have to be like you—or even likable. Drawing on examples from A Few Good Men and Steve Jobs, Aaron explains why he always empathizes with his characters even if he disagrees with them.
Good research is the key to a great script. Bad research is a waste of time. How can you tell the difference? Aaron shares lessons from Malice and The Social Network to help you gather the information you really need.
7. Incorporating Research
You have pages of research—now what? Avoid clunky exposition and learn how to seamlessly weave research into your story.
8. The Audience
Aaron knows that the audience isn't just watching his work. They're participating in it, too. Learn how to write stories that will keep them engaged and entertained.
9. Rules of Story
The rules of great drama aren't new. Here, Aaron explains how most of them were laid out more than 2,000 years ago by Aristotle in his Poetics, and how to use those lessons to become a diagnostician for your own story ideas.
10. Film Story Arc
Page numbers don't sound exciting, but they're a great tool for tracking the act-structure and pacing of your story.
11. Writing Habits
Even Aaron gets writer's block. Learn how he gets unstuck and what writing tools he uses to make sure he's ready when inspiration strikes.
12. Group Workshop: Untitled by JJ Braider
While workshopping J.J.'s script, Aaron shares his tips on writing action scenes that move as fast on the page as they will on the screen.
13. Group Workshop: E is for Edie by Jeanie Bergen
The offbeat characters in Jeanie's script are a hit with Aaron, who warns about the dangers of getting feedback from close-minded studio execs. (Warning: explicit content).
14. Group Workshop: Chronic by Roland Zaleski
Discussing Roland's script, Aaron reveals a simple trick that writers can use to justify improbable events in their stories.
15. Group Workshop: The Merc by Evelyn Yves
Evelyn's TV pilot kicks off a conversation about opening scenes and the importance of showing your audience something they've never seen before.
Who's got a bad idea? Aaron and the students run through various plot ideas as the writers' room continues.
As Aaron says, "You don't have to assault the audience with the plot." The writers discuss the value of pacing—plus the limits of reality within fiction.
Aaron and the students wrap up the virtual writers' room and discuss lessons learned.
You've got a screenplay—now it's time to pitch. Learn what questions Hollywood's decision-makers will ask you during a pitch and how to effectively answer them.
Aaron turns the tables on his writers and pitches them his idea for a brand-new TV series called Mission to Mars.
In the final lesson, Aaron offers his parting wisdom and leaves you with one more assignment that will last the rest of your life.
Share the MasterClass love! Get access to more than 100 masterclasses and start learning from the comfort of your home!
Use our link, get the MasterClass Annual Membership and we'll earn a commission at no extra cost to you!
Aaron Sorkin Masterclass Review: Pricing
The Aaron Sorkin MasterClass used to cost $100, currently, for $180 you can get the MasterClass Annual Membership which also gives you access to this masterclass. With this membership you get one-year unlimited access to more than 100 masterclasses, this means that you'll save about 98% of the $10,000 you'd previously pay for 100 masterclasses.
MasterClass Annual Membership
- $15/mo (Billed $180 for 1-year access)
MasterClass Annual Membership: Content
What-s included with the MasterClass Annual Membership? With the Masterclass Annual Membership you get access to the following masterclasses:
Cooking Masterclasses / Culinary Arts Masterclasses:
- Gabriela Cámara Teaches Mexican Cuisine
- Gordon Ramsay Teaches Cooking I
- Gordon Ramsay Teaches Cooking II
- Aaron Franklin Teaches Texas-Style BBQ
- Thomas Keller Teaches Cooking Techniques I
- Thomas Keller Teaches Cooking Techniques II
- Thomas Keller Teaches Cooking Techniques III
- Massimo Bottura Teaches Modern Italian Cuisine
- Wolfgang Teaches Cooking
- Lynnette Marrero & Ryan Chetiyawardana Teach Mixology
- Alice Waters Teaches the Art of Home Cooking
- Dominique Ansel Teaches French Pastry Fundamentals
- James Suckling Teaches Wine Appreciation
- Ron Finley Teaches Gardening
- Yotam Ottolenghi Teaches Modern Middle Eastern Cooking
- Apollonia Poilane Teaches Bread Baking
Film Masterclasses / Television Masterclasses:
- Natalie Portman Teaches Acting
- Samuel L. Jackson Teaches Acting
- Martin Scorsese Teaches Filmmaking
- David Lynch Teaches Creativity and Film
- Jodie Foster Teaches Filmmaking
- Aaron Sorkin Teaches Screenwriting
- Werner Herzog Teaches Filmmaking
- Ron Howard Teaches Directing
- Judd Apatow Teaches Comedy
- Helen Mirren Teaches Acting
- Ken Burns Teaches Documentary Filmmaking
- Spike Lee Teaches Indie Filmmaking
- Mira Nair Teaches Indie Filmmaking
- Nancy Cartwright Teaches Voice Acting
- Issa Rae Teaches Creating Outside the Lines
- Bobbi Brown Teaches Makeup and Beauty
- Kelly Wearstler Teaches Interior Design
- Emily Morse Teaches Sex and Communication
- Jon Kabat-Zinn Teaches Mindfulness and Meditation
- Jeff Koons Teaches Art and Creativity
- Shonda Rhimes Teaches Writing for Television
- James Patterson Teaches Writing
- David Sedaris Teaches Storytelling and Humor
- Billy Collins Teaches Reading and Writing Poetry
- David Baldacci Teaches Mystery and Thriller Writing
- Neil Gaiman Teaches the Art of Storytelling
- Dan Brown Teaches Writing Thrillers
- Joyce Carol Oates Teaches the Art of the Storytelling
- David Mamet Teaches Dramatic Writing
- Malcolm Gladwell Teaches Writing
- Margaret Atwood Teaches Creative Writing
- R.L. Stine Teaches Writing for Young Audiences
- Judy Blume Teaches Writing
- Walter Mosley Teaches Fiction and Storytelling
- Salman Rushdie Teaches Storytelling and Writing
- Roxane Gay Teaches Writing for Social Change
- Stephen Curry Teaches Shooting, Ball-Handling, and Scoring
- Garry Kasparov Teaches Chess
- Simone Biles Teaches Gymnastics Fundamentals
- Tony Hawk Teaches Skateboarding
- Serena Williams Teaches Tennis
- Joe Holder Teaches Fitness and Wellness Fundamentals
- Misty Copeland Teaches Ballet Technique and Artistry
- Parris Goebel Teaches Creativity in Choreography
- Marc Jacobs Teaches Fashion Design
- Diane von Furstenberg Teaches Building a Fashion Brand
- Tan France Teaches Style for Everyone
- Frank Gehry Teaches Design and Architecture
- Will Wright Teaches Game Design
- Annie Leibovitz Teaches Photography
- Jimmy Chin Teaches Adventure Photography
- RuPaul Teaches Self-Expression and Authenticity
- Robin Roberts Teaches Effective and Authentic Communication
- Howard Schultz Teaches Business Leadership
- Chris Voss Teaches The Art of Negotiation
- Bob Iger Teaches Business Strategy and Leadership
- Anna Wintour Teaches Creativity and Leadership
- Sara Blakely Teaches Self-Made Entrepreneurship
- Jeff Goodby and Rich Silverstein Teach Advertising and Creativity
- Daniel Pink Teaches Sales and Persuasion
Politics Masterclasses / Society Masterclasses:
- Jane Goodall Teaches Conservation
- Paul Krugman Teaches Economics and Society
- Doris Kearns Goodwin Teaches U.S. Presidential History
- David Axelrod and Karl Rove Teach Campaign Strategy
- Bob Woodward Teaches Investigative Journalism
- Carlos Santana Teaches the Art and Soul of Guitar
- Christina Aguilera Teaches Singing
- Tom Morello Teaches Electric Guitar
- Danny Elfman Teaches Music for Film
- Hans Zimmer Teaches Film Scoring
- Herbie Hancock Teaches Jazz
- Timbaland Teache Producing and Beatmaking
- deadmau5 Teaches Electronic Music Production
- Izhak Perlman Teaches Violin
- Reba McEntire Teaches Country Music
- Usher Teaches The Art of Performance
- Armin Van Buuren Teaches Dance Music
- Sheila E. Teaches Drumming and Percussion
- Jake Shimabukuro Teaches Ukelele
- St. Vincent Teaches Creativity and Songwriting
- Alicia Keys Teaches Songwriting and Producing
- Questlove Teaches Music Curation and DJing
- Steve Martin Teaches Comedy
- Penn & Teller Teach the Art of Magic
- Neil de Grasse Tyson Teaches Scientific Thinking
- Chris Hadfield Teaches Space Exploration
- Mathew Walker Teaches Science of Better Sleep
- Brandon McMillan Teaches Dog Training
MasterClass: Pros & Cons
- Access more than 100 masterclasses
- World-renowned lecturers
- Great pricing
- Well established company
- None, really!
Aaron Sorkin Masterclass Review: Verdict
MasterClass is definitely one of the best eLearning platforms available right now, whatever skills you're trying to learn, whichever knowledge you want to acquire, you're bound to find something that suits your needs.
The Aaron Sorkin Masterclass is one of the best screenwriting masterclasses out there, all his advises are precious and the exercises included in the masterclass will greatly help you improve your skills, Aaron Sorkin is an outstanding screenwriter, one of the greatest of our times, if you like writing any kind of content you'll definitely benefit from his masterclass.
Knowing as many skills as possible is crucial, it's essential for you to grow as an individual acquired knowledge in one field will help you in other fields too.
By offering a one-time payment of $180, MasterClass allows you to access a vast number of masterclasses for an extremely low price for the duration of an entire year, during that period you'll have more than enough time to watch every available masterclass and therefore greatly expand your skills and knowledge.
If you do the math and divide $180 by the roughly 100 available masterclasses, it means you'll only have to pay less than $2 per each of those masterclasses!
If you'd like to get the MasterClass Annual Membership, follow the link below and check if the 2 for 1 MasterClass discount is available!